In this module we will introduce the teachers to the principles of development of an online course, to classify the pedagogical needs and the learning objective. We will try to understand the linkage between the pedagogical goals and the technology’s platform and tools, so the technology will support the learning and teaching in class and online.
Abstract In this module we will introduce the teachers to the principles of development of an online course, to classify the pedagogical needs and the learning objective. We will try to understand the linkage between the pedagogical goals and the technology’s platform and tools, so the technology will support the learning and teaching in class and online.
1. Course information and structure
The structure of the course and the course content is organized into logical models (e.g., weeks, units, modules, topics).
for the learners, their needs and their preferences.
2. Learning objectives
Learning objectives are clear and accurate.
– The course learning objectives, or course/program competencies.
– The module/unit learning objectives or competencies outcomes.
– There is a relationship between learning objectives, competencies and course activities.
3. Activities & Assignments
Activities and assignments are reelevated to the online course (face-to-face, hybrid, or online);
– The learning activities promote the achievement of the stated learning objectives or competencies.
– Learning activities provide opportunities for interaction that support active learning.
– The instructor’s plan for classroom response time and feedback on assignments is clearly stated.
– The learning content should be divided to small study units, this will make it easier for learners to remember the information.
4. Course Communication & Student Support
Multiple communication options are provided to support interaction among the instructor and students, and an open and respectful learning environment is established.
5. Learning Technologies
Learning technologies are used appropriately to facilitate learning and instructions are provided to enable students to successfully use the technologies. Educational interactions can be used, depending on the course ccommunication and the available technologies tools- The tools used in the course support the learning objectives and competencies.
– Course tools promote learner engagement and active learning.
– Technologies required in the course are readily obtainable.
– The course technologies are current.
6. Cooperative learning and sharing
Especially in online environments, it is important to provide the learners communication and collaboration options, that will enable dialogue and support (between themselves and with the course teachers).
7. Course Assessment & Evaluation
Students have an opportunity to provide useful feedback about the course, course site, and technologies used.
– The assessments measure the stated learning objectives or competencies.
– Specific and descriptive criteria are provided for the evaluation of learners’ work and are tied to the course objective.
– The assessment instruments selected are sequenced, varied, and suited to the learner work being assessed.
– The course provides learners with multiple opportunities to track their learning progress.
8. Monitoring learners’ performance and progress
The technological solutions provide many possibilities for measuring the learners, based on their performance and behavior in the learning environment.
To be announced
Learning Technologies tools
Online course design
Assessment & Evaluation
To help teachers develop an online course according to the pedagogical needs that are affected from the content and characteristics of the learners
Eli Shmueli, Nadav Kavalerchik and Orit Baruth